Nagaland Pollution Control Board
(Sponsored by Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change, Government of India)
The ENVIS (Environmental Information System) Scheme is implemented by the Economic Division of the Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change, Government of India. It serves as a single-stop web-enabled repository of comprehensive environmental information with collection, collation, storage, retrieval and dissemination of the same through a nationwide network of ENVIS Hubs (hosted by the Environment/ Forest Department of State Governments/ UT Administrations) and ENVIS Resource Partners (RPs) (hosted by environment related governmental and non-governmental organizations/institutes of professional excellence).
Objectives of the Scheme
- To promote, implement and coordinate Green Skill Development Programme (GSDP).
- To implement and coordinate Grid Based Decision Support System (GRIDSS) for sustainable management of natural resources.
- To participate, implement and coordinate Community-driven Environmentally Sustainable Village Programme (CESVP).
- To build a repository and dissemination centre in Environmental Science, Information and Management (ESIM).
- To enable application of modern technologies of acquisition, processing, storage, retrieval and dissemination of information of environmental nature.
- To support and promote research, development and innovation in ESIM.
- To build storage, retrieval and dissemination capabilities, with the ultimate objective of disseminating information speedily to the users.
- To build a strong statistical base such that ENVIS is recognised as a South Asian Hub for ESIM.
- To promote national cooperation and liaise with agencies concerned for exchange of environment related information.
- To promote, support and assist education and personnel training programmes designed to enhance ESIM capabilities.
- Updation and maintenance of India State Level Basic Environmental Information Database (ISBEID) to collect, compile and disseminate State/UTs environmental information in 17 modules and 49 sub modules covering 337 parameters at the state/district level on a centralized server.
About ENVIS Hub, Nagaland
The proposal for establishment of an ENVIS Hub for the state of Nagaland was approved vide Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change letter F.No.23/26/2017 dated September 8, 2017 and the ENVIS Hub was subsequently established on October 1, 2017 with the Nagaland Pollution Control Board as the host organization.
Assigned Subject Area
Status of Environment & Related Issues in the state of Nagaland
The ENVIS Hub is located on the first floor of the Nagaland Pollution Control Board Office, Signal Point, Dimapur 797112, Nagaland.
The ENVIS Hub functions under the supervision of the Member Secretary, Nagaland Pollution Control Board who is also the ENVIS Coordinator. There are four officials working in various capacities for looking after the needs of collection, compilation, database development, updating of information, conducting of GSDP etc.
Responsibilities of ENVIS Hub
- Building up a good collection of books, reports and journals in the particular subject area.
- Establishment of linkages with all information sources in the particular subject area of environment.
- Responding to user queries.
- Establishment of a data bank on selected parameters relating to the subject area.
- Coordination with the Focal Point for supplying relevant, adequate and timely information to the users.
- Helping the Focal Point in gradually building up an inventory of information material available at the centre.
- Identification of information gaps in the specified subject areas and action to fill these gaps.
- Bringing out newsletters and publications in their subject area for wide dissemination.
- Extension & Outreach Programmes on environmental information sharing, awareness,education and training of youth/ students/ stakeholders/ local people at the ground level (district/village level).
- ENVIS Hubs/RPs are also driven to be a decision support system (DSS) at all levels of government with new green initiatives of MoEF&CCsuch as GSDP, CESVP and NES-GRIDSS.
The ENVIS Hub Nagaland publishes quarterly newsletters on various topics regarding status of environment and related issues in the state of Nagaland which are disbursed to all government departments, other ENVIS Hubs & RPs across the country, institutions, libraries, organizations, NGOs etc. The newsletters are also uploaded on the host organization’s website and can be accessed viawww.npcb.nagaland.gov.in.
For more details contact:
Member Secretary & ENVIS Coordinator
Nagaland Pollution Control Board
Signal Point, Dimapur 797112
Tel : 03862-245727
TeleFax : 03862-245726